Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Border Hoppin' and Discovering Gems


Even if you don’t believe in anything, going to Costa Rica is bound to make you think about who or what created such awesomeness.  The beauty of Costa Rica, the natural diversity, the lushness of the green plants---it’s sure to leave you thinking…

But of course, nothing comes that easily. So before I tell you all the amazing things about Costa Rica, let me recap the journey for you. If you ever thought US customs was a big deal, check out the immigration process in Central America. Lol. Ain’t nothing like it.

In true spirit of a semi-backpacker/semi-nomad/semi-adventureseeker (I do not yet own the official backpacker bookbag, lol), we decided to bus it. Okay, okay. It was wayyyy cheaper. Consider crossing borders in Central America for a mere $80 versus $400.00. You would be on that bus too. Anyway, the Tica bus left Panama City’s Gran Terminal at 11:00pm and was set to arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica at 2:00pm the next day. Indeed it was a long journey, but well worth it. I mean, it is all about the experience, right?

At 6:44 am, we arrived at ‘La Frontera.’
We were asked to get off of the bus and enter a sketchy room. I imagine that this sketchy room was the Panamanian side’s immigration office. They brought in a dog that perused the bags. Then a man pointed at all of the foreigners in the room and asked for our passports. I realized later that he had a paper with certain names circled. Yet, how he figured out just who to point to even with that list is still a mystery to me. Maybe, he was just that damn good?

After we were cleared for whatever foreigners need to be cleared for, we proceeded to another line.  Here we were asked to show our tickets and they took a picture of us with webcams.  I even had to take my scarf off my head. Oh well.


It's always exciting to make it across any border!
Then we walked the rest of the way to Costa Rica. Got you! Lol, we were at the border, so just one foot over and we were in Costa Rica.  We stood in line again, this time at the immigration office on the Costa Rican side. 

Somewhere around 9 o’clock (still don’t know whose time it was), we got back on the bus and pulled off. Then we were stopped by police officer or immigration official. I am realizing that you are never really sure who is who around these parts. You just comply.  The good thing about this guy was that when I handed him my passport, he actually pronounced my name right. If you want to see me smile, say my name…and say it right :) 

As we began driving again, I found myself staring out of the window and being grateful once again for the opportunity to see so much, with so little. Each time I see a new place, I am re-inspired to keep making strides in my life and to be a step closer to whatever my purpose is on this earth. For me, this isn’t just about acquiring stamps in my passport. I’ll admit, that part makes me happy too. But the real thing for me is truly finding myself and actualizing my dreams along the way. Through all of this traveling, I am moved, I am inspired, and I am driven to work even harder, to touch people. 

Our ultimate destination during this trip was to a town on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica called Puerto Viejo. A gem it is indeed! Puerto Viejo is a funky little, hippie, rasta, backpacker and everything- in-between-kinda beach town. That meant lots of fresh fruit smoothies, which we all became addicted to by the end of the trip! Lots of expats from different countries including Spain, the United States, Canada, just to name a few. I loved the place. I fit right in with the easy-going people and the reggae tunes blasting from cars, bars, and shops. The reggae vibe just matched with the flair of the town and the tropical vibe. It’s the kinda town where everyone knows everyone and their story. I will always remember at least three of the characters I met here. The Nicaraguan rasta, a costa Rican rasta, and a man from Jamaica, who looked at me and told me straight up that he liked my African vibe. He was a truth speaker. Each of these three people gave me something to think about. My conversation with the rasta from Costa Rica was full of things that will come up time and time again in this blog. The joys of travelling the world: you meet people who, no matter how far away your lands, share the same ideas and thoughts and even passions as you.  You pick up bits and pieces. 

Fresh caribbean food from a local spot called Soda Isma

the glow comes with the territory ;)

kisses from a caribbean town in central america!

peace on the beach

chocolate and green...my faves!




limon's flag has colors similar to the flag of Sierra Leone :)
As Puerto Viejo is located in the province of Limon, it was only right that we pay a visit to the city where most of the afro-descendants reside. They came from Jamaica and other Caribbean countries to build a railroad.  Fortunately, we actually made it there in time for the Carnaval de Limon. It was a blessing to be there in the flesh and experience the pride that people feel on that day. I even noticed some dances that seemed distinctively similar to African 
tribal dances. The city, the people, the experience---nothing short of interesting. I hope to go back there some time next year and have an even richer experience. Check out some of the pictures from carnaval. 

african princesses











the finer things in life: writing on the beach

All in all, 'twas a wonderful trip with two spontaneous sistagirls and all in the name of a Central American Caribbean adventure. 


This weekend I look forward to exploring a bit of Panama. Stay tuned for the San Blas Islands experience with the Kuna Indians of Panama. And remember---don’t take off your seatbelt cuz there’s always an adventure awaiting you here on Bee’s Backseat!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I really like the pics! Your humorous tone makes it an easy read as well. Lol careful o the way u day cross border dem. hee hee <3 Keep writing Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! Makes me wanna cross the border and explore, but I'll just read and enjoy ur discoveries with you and fellow readers.

    Nice read!

    ReplyDelete