Friday, September 12, 2014

Adios, Panama and Muraho, Rwanda!


From feisty Panama in Central America to soothing green hills in Rwanda, East Africa, I welcome you once again to Bee’s Backseat. Or should I say 'Muraho," which means 'hello' in Kinyarwanda. Less than three months ago I hauled my two overweight suitcases and hoped that my oversized carry-on and way-too-big personal item would fly. Pun intended ;) I was moving all of my stuff back to my hometown, the DMV, but I was also headed to a very important orientation in Washington DC. This year, I was awarded a J. William Fulbright grant to teach English in Rwanda. It is no secret how I feel about Africa, education, youth development, language and cross-cultural exchange, so you must know already that I am still trying to grasp how big of a blessing and dream come true this is for me.  Because writing is more than a hobby, because I can’t wait to paint this picture through my words, and because I couldn’t imagine taking anyone else on this journey, I invite you to come along on this ride. This time, we are journeying through a small country nestled in East Africa with lush greenness overflowing. I can’t wait to pour out my experiences in Rwanda, onto my keyboard, and to deliver the goodness of this blessing unto your browsers where ever you are. I have made a pact with myself to journal more and blog at the same time. This is bigger than me now J Mama, I’m a Fulbrighter!
 
the best thing ever! vinaigrette filled avocado was simply the best thing ever. i dipped my fries in it, although the fries were not pictured! beef brochettes are yummy here. (roast beef, suya, kabob. you pick your name!)

peace

this is Rwanda.

a typical lunch. more to come on food! for now the basics: stewed meat, some type of greens, and green plantains.

standing somewhere in between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo :) pretty cool being in between two countries!

these women are walking across the border to buy and sell goods. My new home is a business/trading area!



I encourage you all to subscribe as a passenger on Bee’s Backseat. I don’t want you to miss out on this journey in the Land of 1,000 hills! 

No comments:

Post a Comment